Web Advanced Course Outline
Advanced Course Descriptions
Introduction to PHP Programming (Part 1 of 2)
150 hours (August 2018)
This course will give you a solid introduction to the latest trends and best programming practices with PHP5(x). You will acquire the skills needed for practical programming applications, and you will learn how to put these skills to use in real world scenarios, such as calculating payment amounts for shopping carts, randomizing web page contents, automating date calculations, etc. Best of all, the basic programming principles that you learn here will be valuable in future when you learn other programming languages.
- Understanding the role of scripting in web development
- Understanding PHP and web server configurations
- Creating basic PHP scripts
- PHP data types and operators
- Functions and control structures
- Manipulating strings
- Working with files and directories
- Manipulating arrays
Advanced PHP and MySQL (Part 2 of 2)
150 hours (September/October 2018)
This course will give you a solid introduction to using MySQL database with PHP programming language to build database driven websites. You will learn the SQL language and master database design principles. You will acquire the basic skills to create three-tiered data applications such as websites that require user login/authentication, websites with automated web content, interactive websites, simple shopping carts, and a whole lot more.
- Installing MySQL
- Introduction to MySQL database
- Manipulating MySQL database with PHP
- Using phpMyAdmin - 2.2.x
- Managing state information
- Content Management Systems (CMSs)
Tools for SEO
120 hours (October/November 2018)
This course focuses on tools for enhancing SEO on websites. In addition to other tools and techniques, we will explore the Wordtracker tool to help you gain ground on your heaviest competition. You will learn all about organic ranking and how to improve the ranking your site receives from the search engines without relying on PPC (pay-per-click) advertising or any other kind of paid marketing.
This is much more than a META tag introduction. You will learn how search engines operate, their relationships to one another, how they share information, their strengths and weaknesses, key SEO page elements, competitive analysis, and link popularity. The main focus will be on Google and Bing, and how to impress those top two engines for improved indexing and ranking of your own website.
By completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand the search engine world and the relationship of one search engine to another.
- Ensure your websites meet all the basic requirements for a thorough indexing and solid ranking on major search engines such as Google and Bing.
- Understand how search engines operate and truly see the web and all its content.
- Achieve improved website rankings and exposure to your target markets and those of your future clients or employer.
- Learn a keyword tool called Wordtracker, one of the most robust keyword research and competitive analysis tools available.
Blogging for Business ~ WordPress CMS
120 hours (November/December 2018)
In today’s modern web world, any successful online business needs to ensure it is doing everything possible to reach its target market. Blogging is a simple but very effective way to reach and captivate your market with ongoing information about your products and services. Your blog is a valuable tool in building trusting relationships, not only with customers but also with business partners. It is one of the best ways to build “authority” of yourself and your brand.
In this course you will learn about content management systems (CMSs) and blogging platforms. You will also learn a number of ways to market your blog content through social media. Even if you already have a blog, prepare to discover a variety of ways to use that blog to your advantage. We’re going to focus largely on WordPress. You’ll learn how to set it up in a blog format or as a conventional website. Get ready to start networking, communicating, and sharing ideas!
By completing this course you will be able to:
- Understand what blogging is and have full knowledge of a variety of CMSs and blogging platforms
- Understand the basics of how to set up a blog using these different platforms, particularly WordPress
- Understand WordPress' native features, and recognize and utilize WordPress themes and a variety of WordPress plug-ins
- Understand the dynamics between blogging and social media
- Understand the benefits of business blogging and how that differs from other types of blogging
- Optimize your blog posts for best exposure, visibility, and archiving by understanding the importance of good content writing, grammar, spelling, imagery, and multimedia
- Understand numerous other ways to promote your blog using the top blogging exposure tools and services
- Understand how to become invaluable to customers and respected by peers and competitors, and how to attract and retain even more site visitors
- Set up Google Analytics and understand how to read the data to observe the effects of your blogging efforts